Thursday, January 19, 2012


Trip Report: Bluejohn Blunder?: Bluejohn Canyon Trip Report, April 2011



Descending into the main fork of Bluejohn Canyon last Thursday brought on an overwhelming sense of bitter irony. I planned the trip and the route, so how is it that less than two hours into an all-day trek, my gut aches with unpreparedness. After all, it’s Aron Ralston and the movie 127 Hours that made this area so attractive. How after watching this movie several times and noting the mistakes made, can someone make similar blunders?

For me, I completely underestimated the south approach into the main fork. It was much more technical and deeper than I imagined. Coming out of the canyon the way we came in quickly seemed just short of impossible, and this was our “Easy alternate route”. Identifying and navigating routes through this unfamiliar area would also prove more challenging than expected. Most importantly, one has to completely understand and respect how remote of an area this is. It’s not exactly BFE but you’re 40 miles from pavement and well over an hour to the nearest town, where this is no hospital. There is no cell phone reception in this area, in the canyon or above. There is a ranger station south of the area, but I have to think that finding someone in a pinch isn’t going to happen.

For this particular area, I’m thinking 3 three things: Hydration, First Aid, and Navigation. My hiking partner and I were light in all three areas. We had minimal fluids as one liter got lost on a rappel, one small first aid kit between the two of us, and a GPS (the maps got left in the truck). Looking back, my partner didn’t know where I stowed my first aid in my pack and wasn’t familiar with using GPS.

All and all, we had a great day…but something like a broken ankle or a fall in the canyon could quickly turn fatal in an area that provides no relief and support.

Stay safe and go prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment