Thursday, February 16, 2012


Gear Review: Klymit Kinetic Double Diamond Vest
Klymit has developed an inflatable and adjustable vest aimed and maximizing performance and compactness. The design takes advantage of stretch fabric, argon gas, and a built-in regulator dial.
The more than modern appearance of this vest had me thinking “gimmick” and I was skeptical from the get go. Upon first inspection, I was impressed with the construction and materials used in the vest. Details such as stitching, hems, and zippers, all seem well done. The cut of the garment seemed athletic and it fit me well with various levels of inflation. The vest however doesn’t move well with the body when its inflated to what I’m judging to be more than 50%. The Klymit Kinetic’s chambers are sewn linearly making it stiff from bottom to top. When getting into my truck with the vest zipped, it rose above my shoulders like a flotation vest in the water. Being somewhat uncomfortable, I wondered if the vest would ride up the same way on a ski chair lift or other similar posture. That being said, I did find the vest comfortable while walking and even jogging.

The vest collar is not insulated, but the cut and fit of the collar, arms, a waist seemed ideal for heat retention. Drawstrings compliment both the collar and waist for adjustable fit. The vest design hugs the body, and I was very impressed with the warmth. The vest performed well for me while being in a low aerobic zone near freezing temperatures wearing a long sleeve base layer.

Inflation, and hence heat retention, is adjusted by the use of a regulator dial on the left side of the chest.  Truthfully, I learned that unzipping and zipping to regulate body temp is almost instinctive to me at this point, and I found I did not take advantage of vests regulator dial as often as I would like. However, since the vests chambers must be air tight, the relative breathability found on other traditional down and synthetic vests is in question with this item. I do not feel that this vest will breath well enough during more increased aerobic activities.

The vests inflation hose is retained in its own zipped area within the left hand pocket, keeping it out the way until inflation time. I found the vest easy to inflate and deflate with the included “Klymitizer” and tanks. I found no clear indication on the vest or in the enclosed documentation as to what maximum inflation looks like. Left mostly untouched, the vest lost the majority of its loft and required another fill in 3-4 days. It’s unclear at this time if this is due to a leak or just normal loss of gas.

In the end, I can’t see myself taking advantage of the adjustability that Klymit has built into this vest. Deflating the vest and recharging later on the mountain just doesn’t appeal to me. The Klymit vest when combined with one tank and charger, seems to diminish most if any weight and or storage savings. Keep at it team Klymit! In the meantime, I’ll continue with the traditional layering and venting techniques.

No comments:

Post a Comment